You are being redirected, please wait...

12.05.2004

Objectivity challenged

"I can be biased on my own blog, just as you are biased on yours."
I've been thinking about that one since I first read it. It was on my mind all through church tonigh (granted, there's always a lot of things on my mind during church, but).

Anyway, that statement bothers me. It bothers me for its uncritical generalization of what I write; for it's tone that I can't help believe was designed to do nothing more than launch an attack; for its defensiveness, coming out of someone who's had enough journalism training to know she should invite dialogue about everything she writes, as opposed to shutting it down; for its insuation that I hold what I write to be objective.

For the most part, I'm telling you first person accounts of what I experienced at Taylor. I'm not a detached observer, but a participant in the events. It's impossible for me to seperate my bias and feelings from most of what I've written here. But I never claimed to. I just assumed that everyone understood that.

But on that note, I try really hard to state what's fact, what's speculation, what's rumor and what's me. I try to be as clear as possible. Sometimes, I've gone out of my way to clarify things so that what I'm saying isn't misconstrued. I've gone out of my way to blatantly state the facts and keep my opinion out as much as possible. I've tried to let people come to their own conclusions. I've responded to every criticism and invited dialogue. I've provided relevant documentation when it's available, I've given stories and opinions of others. I've opened up comments so that no voice is left out. I don't know what else I can do.

All to say, if you can't think critically about what you read -- then you shouldn't be allowed to read in the first place.