You are being redirected, please wait...

10.29.2004

Taylor's Unwritten Rules

These were passed on to me from a current Taylor student, who for obvious reasons, would like to remain anonymous. He said they were adapted from the book Toxic Churches.

1. be blind, to your own perceptions of reality and the mixed messages you see and hear

2. be quiet, to the abuse that’s going on to protect the school

3. be numb, to your feelings and personal boundaries

4. be good, obey and look perfect at all costs. Never question the authority of the school or its leaders

5. be loyal, to the school above anything else

His opinions on the culture at Taylor are fairly close to mine. Fortunately, most students never get to the level of experiencing this type of stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger ricknight said...

You could change the word school to company and it would reflect the place where I work. I think it wide spread in society...

October 30, 2004 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Well, the ones I had the most trouble with there were 3 & 4... I'm lucky, I haven't really experienced things like this anywhere else. Or maybe I just learned how to stand up for myself.

October 31, 2004 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I think there are a lot more students that have experienced this sort of thing at Taylor than any of us really know. I think many students put up with it out of grace (far more graceful than I have been, and for that I respect them), not realizing that our failure to say something only perpetuates more of these experiences for other students.

October 31, 2004 at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home