You are being redirected, please wait...

10.28.2004

My blood (updated)

In April 2002, after months of planning for Youth Conference, I became ill. Really ill. My symptoms (fever, headaches, chills, etc.) started the Friday of the conference and went all weekend, then stretched into another four days. By Sunday I was in bed and pretty much stayed there until I went to the hospital the following Thursday.

Ball Memorial's eventual diagnosis: a bad flu. Taylor's diagnosis: hepatitis. (How this rumor started, I'm unsure.) I was supposed to work at the Echo after leaving the hospital, but was literally knocked out from pain medication. I awoke to answering machine messages from the editor sorry to hear that I contracted hepatitis. She'd later tell me that the entire staff knew.

The next morning, I woke up to my hall director, Tim Taylor, knocking on my door. The health center wanted to see me right away he said - I had to have a blood test. I explained to him that I didn't have hepatitis (and even if I did, it wasn't his business). It didn't matter. I told the nurses at the health center the same thing, but it didn't matter to them either. If I couldn't prove that I wasn't infected, I'd have to leave the university, I was told.

So, they stuck a needle in my arm and took my blood, even amidst my protests.

It wasn't long that the entire student development staff new that I had hepatitis, even though the blood test showed I didn't. It wasn't long before a lot of other students knew, too.

Taylor's lawyer's response after learning this (and a host of other things I need write about)? "No one ... has taken any action to harm you." Chairman of the board of trustees Ken Flanigan (of Christianity Today International) said in an August 6th, 2004 letter that the board "sincerely regrets that you believe your situation has not been handled appropriately." Sources close to the board indicate that Flanigan sent the letter without the full board's knowledge and / or approval.

UPDATE: One thing I forgot to add to this, I walked into counseling that day -- and the first thing my counselor asked about -- my "diagnosis" with hepatitis. I'll give you three guesses as to who told him. It wasn't me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

I had no idea this happened! Whatever happened to health records being confidential?

October 31, 2004 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

The only privacy Taylor really seems to want to protect is its own.

November 2, 2004 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger nitroburn said...

sue the bastards.

November 29, 2004 at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home